Looking to gain a recognised English or maths qualification, Learn Devon is here to help.
No matter what your English or maths level is, we can offer you a course. Gaining a qualification (GCSE or Functional Skills) in English or maths will help you at home and work. Join a course with Learn Devon and we can help you get the qualification you want – read more about our learner’s results here.
To find out more and enrol, please contact your nearest centre and arrange an appointment. As part of our enrolment process, we will ask you to complete a skills check, so that we can offer you a course that suits your abilities.
Enrolling for GCSEs and Functional Skills courses
To learn more about our courses and options, please book for one of our online enrolment events. Our enrolment events will allow you to have an informal conversation and an assessment with one of our tutors.
- Monday 29th January 10am – 12 noon
- Tuesday 30th January 6 – 8pm
- Wednesday 31st January 1 – 3pm
- Thursday 1st February 6 – 8pm
- Friday 2nd February 10am – 12 noon
Joining one of our courses
To join one of our Functional Skills or GCSE courses, all learners will need take a short assessment to help us understand their skills. This can be completed either online or face-to-face.
What are the classes like?
Our groups are small and welcoming. Our tutors are friendly, patient and passionate about helping our learners gain their qualifications.
Our tutors work with our learning support assistants who are on hand to help you with any learning difficulties. Using a tailored learning plan, our tutors will provide you with feedback to help you achieve your learning goals. If you require any help with your digital skills to support your learning, please let us know.
What courses do we offer?
We offer courses from Entry 1 through to Level 2. From basic to intermediate-skill level, the Functional Skills courses will support learners as they develop their skills across the subject curriculum. The Level 2 course is a perfect stepping-stone for those looking to take a GCSE in the future. Please note that we only offer English and maths Functional Skills courses.
These courses are held either online or face-to-face, at one of our centres. Each lesson is up to 2.5 hours long and homework/further study will be required between lessons.
We offer three types of courses:
- Fast track: These are designed to enable you to complete the course in one academic term. These courses will require you to attend two lessons per week per subject:
|Start in||Assessment in|
- Six-month course: These courses will require you to attend one lesson per week per subject. There are two courses available:
One course starts in September and finishes in February while the other course starts in February and finishes in July.
- Flexible learning: Throughout the year there are several opportunities to sit an assessment – at a time when you and your tutor feel that you have reached the appropriate level.
Our GCSE courses are intensive and challenging but will help you prepare for the exams in May/June. There are two starting points:
- September: These courses run over an entire academic year and start in September. They require a weekly 3-hour online lesson.
- January (fast track): Our fast track courses start in January are finish in June. They require two 3-hour online lessons per week.
For each subject area, the tutors will set you homework and/or further reading. Please note that we only offer English and maths GCSE courses.
Contacting our Learning Centres
T: 01237 472462
T: 01395 223851
T: 01392 384094
T: 01822 613701
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our friendly team who are happy to answer any questions.
Book by contacting our centre teams