German: improvers 1
Who is this course for?
This is the next step for learners who have completed the previous Improvers German classes or have lower intermediate knowledge of German. This is an opportunity to practise and consolidate your language learning and build your confidence. If you have lived in a German speaking country, or previously done GCSE or A Level German, this may the place to come to keep your German speaking skills fresh and up-to-date.
If you don’t continue to use it, you will lose it.
Get to grips with German grammar and extend your vocabulary.
You will learn and practise useful language such as:
Discussing appropriate clothes and gifts;
Offering help and advice;
Talking about past holidays;
Reporting weather conditions;
Reporting on aches and pains;
Grammar: Adjectival endings 2, direct and indirect objects, personal pronouns in the dative, prepositions and places, modal verbs, “wenn” clauses.
Understand and take part in conversations
Learn about the language and culture of the country/countries
Practise and improve your listening, speaking and reading using authentic materials
Work individually, in pairs and in small groups, as well as with the tutor and the whole class
Use a range of resources including video clips, listening material for comprehension and the internet
Support and feedback
You will complete an individual learning plan (ILP). There is initial assessment and a variety of activities to assess your progress throughout the course. There is discussion and written feedback with your tutor. This should be noted on your ILP.
Additional costs and requirements
At the start of the course your tutor will advise you of any course book that might be required. Please don’t purchase anything before the course.
You’ll need a pen, paper and a ring-binder for storing notes, hand-outs and homework. You may find a bi-lingual dictionary useful.
You may like to bring a drink or refreshments
Will I have to do anything outside of the session?
Yes, effective language learning requires regular practise and reinforcement. You’ll be provided with homework tasks to help consolidate and extend the work done in the weekly session.
You will also be encouraged to make use of other resources such as internet websites for self-study activities.
About the tutor
• Daphne Robins has been teaching German for Learn Devon since September 2009. Daphne lived in Germany for 27 years until April 2000, working as a PA for international companies. She is bilingual in German and English and has dual citizenship in both Germany and Great Britain.
• Daphne has a Bachelor’s Degree in Education and Training from the University of Plymouth and a PGCE in Secondary Modern Foreign Languages. Daphne has in the past taught German at secondary schools in Devon and currently teaches English as a second language at an international language school in Sidmouth. Besides teaching German at Learn Devon Daphne also teaches ESOL. Daphne tutors privately, where she has not only supported students through GCSE and A Level, but also adult learners to come to grips with the language for personal and business use.
• Daphne has a deep knowledge of German, German culture and everyday life in Germany. She is particularly skilled at introducing the intricacies of German to the novice learner. Her enthusiasm and specialist knowledge are just two of the many ingredients that make her lessons interesting and lively.
• “I simply love teaching. I am passionate about anything German, particularly the language. I really enjoy seeing learners progress through the stages of learning German, from complete Beginners through to Improvers and beyond. Learning a foreign language enables adults to engage with their native language, enhancing their literacy skills, as well as becoming more involved in the wider world community, for example, when travelling, or in twinning associations”.
• Quotes from learner
• “Learning German at Learn Devon has enabled me to not only book a table at a restaurant, but also to have the confidence to cancel the reservation again”
• Daphne Robins, German and ESOLTutor, Learn Devon