German: beginners 1
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who wishes to learn German and who has a little knowledge of German. This course is also suitable, if you have attended course at Learn Devon and wish to continue building and extending your knowledge. Your will learn the basics, such as useful phrases, and revisit, practise and consolidate any existing knowledge of German. The course will help learners to build their confidence in speaking German.
If you don’t continue to use it, you will lose it.
Learn simple grammar and learn and add to your vocabulary.
You will learn and practise simple useful language such as:
• Talking about food and drink
• Shopping for food and drink
• Booking hotel rooms
• Days of the week
Revisit simple grammar, e.g. personal pronouns, yes-no questions, using “nicht”, verb endings, gender and articles, plural verbs in the present tense
Understand and take part in simple short conversations
Exchange information with others
Learn about the language and culture of the country/countries
Practise and improve your listening, speaking and reading, using authentic materials.
Work individually, in pairs and in small groups, as well as with the tutor and the whole class.
Use a range of resources including video clips, listening material for comprehension and the internet
Support and feedback
You’ll complete an individual learning plan (ILP). There is initial assessment and a variety of activities to assess your progress. There is discussion and written feedback with your tutor. This should be noted on your ILP.
Additional costs and requirements
At the start of the course your tutor will advise you of any course book that might be required. Please don’t purchase anything before the course.
You will need a pen, paper and a ring-binder for storing notes, hand-outs and homework.
You may like to bring a drink or refreshments
Will I have to do anything outside of the session?
Yes, effective language learning requires regular practise and reinforcement. You’ll be provided with short homework tasks to help consolidate and extend the work done in the weekly session.
You will also be encouraged to make use of other resources such as internet websites for self-study activities.
About the tutor
• Daphne Robins has been teaching German for Learn Devon since September 2009. Daphne lived in Germany for 27 years, until April 2000, working for international companies as a PA, as she is bilingual in German and English. Daphne has dual citizenship in both Germany and Great Britain.
• Daphne has a Bachelor Degree in Education and Training from the University of Plymouth and a PGCE in Secondary Modern Foreign Languages. Daphne has recently been teaching German at secondary schools in Devon, English as a foreign language at an international language school in Sidmouth and ESOL as Learn Devon. Daphne also teaches privately, having supported students through GCSEs and A Levels in German.
• Daphne has a deep knowledge of German, German culture and everyday life in Germany. She is particularly skilled at introducing the intricacies of German to the novice learner. Her enthusiasm and specialist knowledge are just two of the many ingredients that make her lessons interesting and lively.
• “I simply love teaching. I am passionate about anything German, and particularly the language, and I really enjoy seeing learners progress through the stages of learning German, from complete Beginners through to Improvers. Learning a foreign language enables adults to engage with their native language, enhancing their literacy skills, as well as becoming more involved in the wider world community, for example, when travelling, or in twinning associations”.
• Quotes from learner
• “Learning German at Learn Devon has enabled me to not only book a table at a restaurant, but also to have the confidence to cancel the reservation again”.
• “I always thought German grammar would be so difficult, but Daphne has really helped me to make sense of it!”
• Daphne Robins, German and ESOL Tutor, Learn Devon