Researching your family history online
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal for anyone who would like to start researching their family history.
This course will give you a starting point with online family history research. You will learn:
• How to get started and search for free information online – what are the best web sites?
• How to create a family tree and best use census information
• Sharing trees with others
• Learn about the different organisations and companies offering free and paid for services, and compare different software
• Privacy and security of information
• DNA results
• Recording and organising your data
Support and feedback
You will get feedback from your tutor in the sessions to let you know how you are doing, and you will also complete an individual learning plan to help you keep on track and so you know where you are in the course and what you need to do next.
Additional information and resources
As this course is being run online, a laptop with an inbuilt webcam, or a desktop PC with separate webcam is essential. You will have familiarity with computing. For example, using email or social media platforms. An ability to use a browser to search web pages is essential. A very basic use of using word processing would be helpful, but not essential.