ESOL: English for speakers of other languages
Who is this course for?
This course is for adults who are learning to speak English as a second language.
This course will help you with everyday activities such as shopping, going to the doctors, making appointments and looking for work
You must be eligible for the advertised course fee i.e. you must have been resident in an EU country for at least 3 years prior to joining the course.
If this is your first course with us, you will need to do an initial assessment prior to the start of the course. Please contact your local centre to arrange this.
The course covers:
• speaking and listening
• reading and writing
• basic punctuation and grammar
If you are learning English for the first time, we will use pictures and simple word books to help you start making sentences.
You will practice a range of writing and reading skills such as filling in forms and finding basic information.
We will talk about you and your family, your country and the foods that you enjoy.
Your tutor will work closely with you to ensure that the course meets your needs.
Support and feedback
Your tutor will give you weekly feedback and will spend time with you individually to discuss your progress. Your progress and any areas needing more practice will be recorded in your Individual Learning Plan.
Additional costs and requirements
You will need a pen and a notebook or notepaper. A yellow highlighter and a folder to keep your work in might also be useful.
Will I have to do anything outside of the session?
Your tutor will give you activities to do in your own time. Remember that the more real practice you get outside the classroom the quicker you will improve your English.
About the tutor
• Daphne Robins teaches German and ESOL at Learn Devon where she has been teaching since September 2009. She worked as a PA at Stover School for 8 years and before that she lived in Germany for 27 years until April 2000. In Germany she worked as a PA for international companies. Daphne is bilingual in German and English with citizenship in both Germany and Great Britain.
• Daphne has a Bachelor’s Degree in Education and Training from the University of Plymouth and a PGCE in Secondary Modern Foreign Languages from Roehampton University. Daphne has taught at secondary schools in Devon, as well as English as a foreign language at an international language school in Sidmouth, besides giving private tuition.
• Daphne has a deep knowledge of teaching languages and is particularly skilled at introducing the intricacies of a language to the novice learner. Her enthusiasm and specialist knowledge are just two of the many ingredients that make her lessons interesting and lively.
• “I simply love teaching. I am passionate about teaching languages, and particularly English, and I really enjoy seeing learners progress through the stages of learning from Entry Level through to Level 2. Learning English enables speakers of English as a second language to enhance their literacy skills, as well as becoming more involved and integrated in their community in the UK
Quotes from learner
• “Daphne Robins gives 150% of herself in teaching. Dedicated and patient she encourages me in every lesson. A truly superb tutor.”
• “I always thought grammar would be so difficult, but Daphne has really helped me to make sense of it!”
Daphne Robins, German and ESOLTutor, Learn Devon