ESOL: English for speakers of other languages
Who is this course for?
You can only enrol on this course through a friendly chat and skills check with an experienced Learn Devon Learning Support Co-ordinator.
To make a local appointment to confirm which course is most suitable for your needs, please contact our admin teams in Newton Abbot or Totnes.
The Passmore Edwards Centre
36 Fore Street
This course will run on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for six weeks and is an accelerated ESOL course.
This ESOL (English for Speakers of other languages) is for anyone who wants to have experience in learning to speak or improve their English. It includes reading and writing practices.
This course will help you with everyday activities like shopping, going to the doctors or looking for work and making appointments. This is an excellent opportunity to meet new friends and learn about different countries.
The course covers:
speaking and listening
reading and writing
punctuation and grammar
The skills will be taught through a variety of engaging activities, such as role-plays, group discussions, online interactive exercises, language games and puzzles, reading comprehension exercises and more, all designed to suit a variety of learning styles. Your tutor will work closely with you to ensure that the course meets your requirements.
You will be learning in a small group of adult learners of different nationalities and different levels of ability and you will be working towards a City and Guilds ESOL Skills for Life qualification. You will be assessed for this at an appropriate level at the end of the course.
Support and feedback
At the start of your course you will complete initial and diagnostic assessments to establish your starting level. You will discuss your learning and personal goals with the tutor and you will both agree on learning targets suitable for you. This will help to measure your progress. You will be given feedback every week. Your progress and any areas needing more practice will be recorded in your Individual Learning Plan.
Additional costs and requirements
You will need a pen, a notebook or notepaper and a dictionary. A yellow highlighter and a folder to keep your work in might also be useful.
You may like to bring a drink or refreshments
Will I have to do anything outside of the session?
You will need to do homework! Your tutor will give you activities to do in your own time and you will also be encouraged to use relevant websites for self-study activities. Remember that the more real practice you get outside the classroom the quicker you will improve your English.
About the tutor
• Daphne Robins teaches German and ESOL at Learn Devon where she has been teaching since September 2009. She worked as a PA at Stover School for 8 years and before that she lived in Germany for 27 years until April 2000. In Germany she worked as a PA for international companies. Daphne is bilingual in German and English with citizenship in both Germany and Great Britain.
• Daphne has a Bachelor’s Degree in Education and Training from the University of Plymouth and a PGCE in Secondary Modern Foreign Languages from Roehampton University. Daphne has taught at secondary schools in Devon, as well as English as a foreign language at an international language school in Sidmouth, besides giving private tuition.
• Daphne has a deep knowledge of teaching languages and is particularly skilled at introducing the intricacies of a language to the novice learner. Her enthusiasm and specialist knowledge are just two of the many ingredients that make her lessons interesting and lively.
• “I simply love teaching. I am passionate about teaching languages, and particularly English, and I really enjoy seeing learners progress through the stages of learning from Entry Level through to Level 2. Learning English enables speakers of English as a second language to enhance their literacy skills, as well as becoming more involved and integrated in their community in the UK
Quotes from learner
• “Daphne Robins gives 150% of herself in teaching. Dedicated and patient she encourages me in every lesson. A truly superb tutor.”
• “I always thought grammar would be so difficult, but Daphne has really helped me to make sense of it!”
Daphne Robins, German and ESOLTutor, Learn Devon