ESOL: English for speakers of other languages
Who is this course for?
You will need to do an initial assessment prior to the start of the course, you can arrange this either by popping in to the Learn Devon office on the first floor of the Passmore Edwards Centre, or by calling 01392 384094.
This course is for adults who speak English as a second language. The course will help you improve your English so that you can get more out of your life here in the UK. It will also help you if you want to go onto further studies or improve your employment prospects.
The course covers:
speaking and listening
reading and writing
punctuation and grammar
The skills will be taught through a variety of engaging activities, such as role-plays, group discussions, online interactive exercises, language games and puzzles, reading comprehension exercises and more, all designed to suit a variety of learning styles. Your tutor will work closely with you to ensure that the course meets your requirements.
You will be learning in a small group of adult learners of different nationalities and different levels of ability and you will be working towards a City and Guilds ESOL Skills for Life qualification in Reading and Writing. You will be assessed for this at an appropriate level at the end of the course.
Support and feedback
At the start of your course you will complete initial and diagnostic assessments to establish your starting level. You will discuss your learning and personal goals with the tutor and you will both agree on learning targets suitable for you. This will help to measure your progress. You will be given feedback every week. Your progress and any areas needing more practice will be recorded in your Individual Learning Plan.
Additional costs and requirements
You will need a pen, a notebook or notepaper and a dictionary. A yellow highlighter and a folder to keep your work in might also be useful.
You may like to bring a drink or refreshments
Will I have to do anything outside of the session?
You will need to do homework! Your tutor will give you activities to do in your own time and you will also be encouraged to use relevant websites for self-study activities. Remember that the more real practice you get outside the classroom the quicker you will improve your English.
About the tutor
• Daphne Robins has been teaching German for Learn Devon since September 2009 and worked as a PA at Stover School for 8 years. Daphne lived in Germany for 27 years until April 2000, where she worked as a PA for international companies. She is bilingual in German and English. Daphne has dual citizenship in both Germany and Great Britain.
• Daphne has a Bachelor’s Degree in Education and Training from the University of Plymouth and a PGCE in Secondary Modern Foreign Languages from Roehampton University. Daphne has recently been teaching at secondary schools in Devon, as well as English as a foreign language at an international language school in Sidmouth, besides giving private tuition.
• Daphne has a deep knowledge of teaching languages, and is particularly skilled at introducing the intricacies of a language to the novice learner. Her enthusiasm and specialist knowledge are just two of the many ingredients that make her lessons interesting and lively.
• “I simply love teaching. I am passionate about teaching languages, and particularly English, and I really enjoy seeing learners progress through the stages of learning from Entry Level through to Level 2. Learning English enables speakers of English as a second language to enhance their literacy skills, as well as becoming more involved and integrated in their community in the UK
Quotes from learner
• “Daphne Robins gives 150% of herself in teaching. Dedicated and patient she encourages me in every lesson. A truly superb tutor.”
• “I always thought grammar would be so difficult, but Daphne has really helped me to make sense of it!”
Daphne Robins, German and ESOLTutor, Learn Devon