ESOL: English for speakers of other languages - try it out
Who is this course for?
This taster course in ESOL (English for Speakers of other languages) is for anyone who wants to have experience in learning to speak or improve their English. It includes reading and writing practice. This session will introduce you to some of the activities we do in class like talking about different countries and cultures, looking for jobs and knowing how to book an appointment.
The session covers speaking activities learning new words and pronunciation. You will talk about your country and describe the food there. You will meet new friends and ask them questions about their country and their family.
Support and feedback
Your tutor will give you feedback.
Additional costs and requirements
You will need a pen and a note book.
About the tutor
• Daphne Robins has been teaching German for Learn Devon since September 2009 and worked as a PA at Stover School for 8 years. Daphne lived in Germany for 27 years until April 2000, where she worked as a PA for international companies. She is bilingual in German and English. Daphne has dual citizenship in both Germany and Great Britain.
• Daphne has a Bachelor’s Degree in Education and Training from the University of Plymouth and a PGCE in Secondary Modern Foreign Languages from Roehampton University. Daphne has recently been teaching at secondary schools in Devon, as well as English as a foreign language at an international language school in Sidmouth, besides giving private tuition.
• Daphne has a deep knowledge of teaching languages, and is particularly skilled at introducing the intricacies of a language to the novice learner. Her enthusiasm and specialist knowledge are just two of the many ingredients that make her lessons interesting and lively.
• “I simply love teaching. I am passionate about teaching languages, and particularly English, and I really enjoy seeing learners progress through the stages of learning from Entry Level through to Level 2. Learning English enables speakers of English as a second language to enhance their literacy skills, as well as becoming more involved and integrated in their community in the UK
Quotes from learner
• “Daphne Robins gives 150% of herself in teaching. Dedicated and patient she encourages me in every lesson. A truly superb tutor.”
• “I always thought grammar would be so difficult, but Daphne has really helped me to make sense of it!”
Daphne Robins, German and ESOLTutor, Learn Devon