Fun with fabrics
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for anyone who is interested in using fabrics for a variety of decorative and making projects. Some knowledge of sewing/using a sewing machine would be useful but not essential
During this short interactive online live course, you will be building your skills and knowledge about using textiles and sewing in creative and fun ways. You will be exploring a variety of techniques including fabric dying, painting and simple printing, Bondaweb applique, machine patchwork, hand embroidery and possibly free machine embroidery. You will be able to use these techniques in your own project or to produce creative textile samples.
Support and feedback
Your tutor will support you throughout the course through online face to face discussions and feedback on your progress if wanted. You will work with your tutor on your personal goals within the structure of the course.
Additional costs and requirements
Some experience of using fabrics, sewing and using a sewing machine would be useful but is not essential. Use of and some experience with your own sewing machine would be useful but is not essential as tasks can be adapted for hand sewing if wanted. This course is for all abilities.
Will I have to do anything outside of the session?
You will need a laptop / PC / phone / tablet with a camera and microphone/headphones and a good internet connection.
You will need to provide your own materials and equipment – see list
Additional information and resources
“How will I learn?
You will be working with your tutor in a virtual learning environment using an online video platform called Zoom. You will in your virtual class with other learners. Your tutor will give practical demonstrations, have discussions, set tasks, give feedback and will support you throughout the course with online face to face discussions and feedback on your progress where appropriate. You will work with your tutor on your personal goals within the structure of the course.
Resources and additional information
Materials and equipment list:
– A working sewing machine.
– Optional – fabric dyes (Dylon cold water dye is very good but even natural things like onion skins can be used to dye cloth) and salt.
– Optional – fabric paints, or some acrylic paints and Berol Fabric Medium. Paintbrushes and a potato (for printing with).
– Fabrics (use of something stable like a medium weight cotton/polycotton woven cloth like 1 metre of plain cotton calico – or recycle something like an old sheet, pillowcase or duvet cover, a great way to re-use fabrics and save money and resources) including coloured/patterned fabrics.
– Bondaweb (or similar iron on fabric glue sheet) – a small piece say 15cmx15cm minimum.
– Iron and Ironing board.
– Old teatowel.
– A sheet of baking paper.
– Newspaper or thin card for making templates.
– Needle and thread
– Notepad and pen/pencil.
What can I do next?
You may like to enrol on another textile, art or craft course with Learn Devon.
You may like to join an online art group or one that meets locally to you.
Your tutor will suggest ideas on what you can practice and how to build on what you have learnt. They will signpost you to other opportunities to support your learning. ”